YOUR GRAMMAR IS SHOWING
What does it matter if our grammar is showing? It matters because people form opinions of us from the way we speak and the way we write. Especially in talks we give and “public” documents we create, people expect “good grammar.”
Second, the main way that we express meaning to ourselves and to others is through language, and grammar is the foundation or the structure of language. If we don’t learn that structure, we’re forever limited in what we can build: Learning grammar puts more tools in your toolbox, enabling you to express yourself more precisely and more effectively.
That’s what you’ll learn in YOUR GRAMMAR IS SHOWING!! Learning correctness (“good grammar”) is the first step, the initial step you need to master before moving on to the more complex aspects of language. In YOUR GRAMMAR IS SHOWING!! you’ll learn how to:
- Find subjects and verbs in sentences.
- Recognize other “parts of speech” such as adverbs, adjectives, and complements.
- Explain to others why learning the parts of speech is important!
- Make sure subjects “agree” with verbs, and pronouns agree with their antecedents.
- Choose pronouns correctly (whether to say “It is I” or “It is me”).
- Punctuate phrases, clauses, and sentences correctly.
- Make sound language choices based on your purpose and audience.
- Arrange words and groups of words to achieve desired effects.
This is a very helpful workshop if English is your second language.