Course Title:DC & AC Motors & Generators
The student will be introduced to drive fundamentals and will design a DC motor protection circuit, as well as understand the operation and maintenance of single phase and three phase motors
• Calculate torque, horsepower, and efficiency of a DC motor.
• Apply Lenz’s Law and Flemings Law to the operation of DC motors.
• Draw a diagram of the connections for series, shunt, and compound DC motors.
• Wire a shunt DC motor and control the speed by both armature and field control.
• Given a wire carrying a current in a magnetic field, the student will be able to predict the direction of motion.
• Use the NEMA classification design letter to determine the proper starting torque of a motor.
• Calculate motor slip and synchronous speed of a 3-phase motor.
• Draw a physical diagram of a shading pole motor and determine its direction of motion.
• Draw a wiring diagram of a split phase, dual voltage motor. Be able to reverse the direction of a split phase motor.